20thC - Post War
Post war house building completed estates on the previously established pattern and by 1956 the area became almost fully built up (see Historic Map 3 1953-1958).
Thereafter new build was confined to in-fill and by the demolition of earlier buildings, often to build flats which were not common in the original development. Examples are the Arncliffe Grange flats, built on the site of the 19thC. Allerton House and recent blocks on Street Lane built on the site of 20thC. houses. The character was also being modified as many larger houses were converted to multiple occupation and house extensions became popular; these trends of course continue today.
Arncliffe Grange, Harrogate Road
Public Transport was enhanced by expanding the provision of buses which fully replaced trams in late 1957 when the last tram ran to Moortown Corner.Although overall changes to the area were on a smaller scale than the inter war period, some were particularly significant for the community such as:-
The Grange was converted initially to an R.C. presbytery and Church of The Immaculate Heart of Mary (1945), then to a school, and finally expanded to become St Gemma’s Hospice, opened in 1978.The presbytery moved to Broomhill House around 1950 and a new Immaculate Heart church was built in the grounds and opened in 1956; a school was later added, opening in 1976.
The establishment of the Roundhegians Memorial Grounds off Chelwood Drive in 1952 (with the planting of 88 trees in remembrance of former Roundhay School pupils who gave their lives in the 2nd World War) for their Old Boys Rugby Club and its later development as a Sports Association including Badminton. These are the only remaining permanent sporting facilities in Moortown.
Donisthorpe Hall became a Jewish home for the elderly and infirm in 1956 and a convalescent home was relocated to its grounds; subsequent expansion on the site has included the establishment of a synagogue.
The new Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Synagogue, constructed on the Street Lane Sportsmans Hall site was consecrated in 1969 after the initial establishment of a temporary building more than 10 years earlier.
The sports facilities behind the Chained Bull Pub were lost, a Marks & Spencer supermarket built on the site and the renamed “Bull” pub was demolished in 2008 to enlarge the M&S car park.
The Yorkshire Bank closed their sports ground more than 10 years ago, since when the site has been effectively sterilized.
Church of The Immaculate Heart of St. Mary, Harrogate Road
Thus the original 3 Moor Allerton hamlets became a continuous built up area and expanded to become a modern residential suburb called Moortown and is so named on current O.S. maps. The name Moor Allerton came to be used for differing areas away from the original hamlets and even moves around on different scale O.S. maps!
Moortown became a separate ward in 1950 when the City Council revised boundaries.